War Child - Global Communications Intern
4-5 days per week for a period of 4-5 months, starting January / February 2022
You are interested in working with an international development organisation focused on children and eager to contribute and learn. You are enthusiastic, result driven and have great communication skills. As an intern in this role, you will support the Global Communications and Advocacy Team with a wide range of tasks in the following areas: writing, news reporting, online publishing, internal communications and general support to the team. This is a broad internship in which you have contact with various departments. We are really looking for a Communications Jack (or Jill) -of-all-trades!
You provide support the Global Communications and Advocacy Team in the areas detailed below. On a daily basis this can be support in writing a social media post, planning communications, training coordination, documentation or administrative support. There is operational work to do, but you will also be involved in more tactical and strategic discussions. Obligations you may have in relation to your study will be discussed with you to ensure that your time with War Child will benefit your start in the job market.
This internship role is stationed in War Child office in Amsterdam and the suitable intern needs to be enrolled in a Dutch higher education institute for the duration of the internship.
Important Note: The tasks listed below will be flexible enough to be adapted to suit your particular area of study.
Support development and dissemination of content relating to War Child’s communications strategy (i.e. creating a sense of urgency and highlighting our innovative work):
- Support Communications Advisors in developing online content and posting these across multiple channels according to set formats
Support communications and coordination of country programme communication needs
- Follow up on country programme requests
Support internal communications and coordination of internal events
- Support internal events
- Coordinate and plan multi-lingual events
- Make documentation accessible to non-English staff
- Support advisors with coordination of monthly Comms Global Network
- Collaborate with different departments and disciplines within the organisation
- Perform a range of supporting and administrative activities within the team.
- Support with the team’s day to day communications, reporting, planning, team day coordination, documentation and administrative tasks
- Bachelor programme student, specializing in international development, development studies, psychology, sociology, anthropology, communication, journalism, new media or digital culture
- Enrolled in a Dutch higher education institution for the whole duration of the internship
- Preferably knowledge of NGO and/or development sector
- Excellent command of English language, both spoken and written
- Ability to follow up on news leads and write online content (intranet, web and social media)
- Ability to produce quality work outputs within agreed priorities and to deadline
- Ability to maintain contacts at different levels
- Excellent planning and organisational skills
- Good problem solving skills, can-do mentality
- Pro-active, independent and flexible
- Interested to work and communicate with people from diverse backgrounds
- Strong teamwork and communication skills including presentation preparation and delivery
- Available for 4-5 days a week
- Available from January /February 2022 for a period of 4-5 months
War Child is an organisation with offices in Amsterdam, Stockholm, Hamburg and in nine conflict affected zones. The Global Communications and Advocacy team is based in Amsterdam, but works closely with all War Child offices around the world to build the brand, influence policy and share content. We are a team of several nationalities, whose outlook is international and working language is English. We keep an informal ambiance within our office in Amsterdam, with a lot of room for creativity, inspiration and self-initiative from members of the team. We try to practice what we preach: dynamic, innovative, integrity focused and a drive to reach the highest possible results against the lowest possible costs.
We are looking for a Communications Intern who will join the Communications and Advocacy Team from January / February 2022 for a period of 4-5 months, for 4-5 days per week. As a War Child intern, you can count on an interesting internship, with an opportunity to learn a lot. Of course you will get guidance, but also freedom to work out your ideas. You will receive an internship allowance of € 200, - gross per month, based on 40 hours per week.
Please note that War Child interns need to be enrolled as students at a Dutch educational institution for the duration of their internship. Please note that this internship does not suit students who are in their thesis writing semesters.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to apply by no later than 6 December 2021 by submitting their CV (English, max 2 pages) and cover letter here: https://warchild.onlinevacatures.nl/en/job/210286/apply